Sunday, November 6, 2011

Hauntings

Writers are haunted by voices. Voices of characters wanting to come out. Voices of people we know. Voices of people long gone. Artists are haunted by images. Visual art appeals to me, because the stories are still there, but instead of voices, I'm conversing with images. Like the words in my head, the images are different when I put them down, but the heart of them remain. I write about isolation and loneliness. I'm finding that to be true in the images I'm drawn to as well. They say artists tend to return again and again to the same story, the same threads of ideas winding through each pass they take on the page, on the stage, on the canvas. While not all my stories are about dead people, I am definitely dancing with ghosts.

No comments:

Post a Comment